Thanksgiving is likely the biggest meal you’ll have all year. With so many different flavors on the table, it can be overwhelming to decide on which wines to serve. Though it’s an American holiday, the savory earthiness found in French wines make them ideal accompaniments for any cuisine. We’ve rounded up our top recommendations along with tips on how to pair these wines with food.
Arrogant Frog Savvy Sauvignon Blanc SRP $9.99
This 100% sauvignon blanc is a refreshing wine to sip as an apertif, with its bright grapefruit flavor and mouthwatering acidity. It also has lovely herbaceous undertones and a hint of smokiness that will pair with everything from a salad with citrus vinaigrette to green bean casserole and even turkey. This is a versatile wine and will please any fan of crisp whites.
This sparkling wine is made from 100% mauzac, a grape mainly grown in Southwest France. We make our Blanquette de Limoux in a style that has been used for hundreds of years, with low alcohol (7%) and some residual sugar. The result is a wine with high acidity and succulent flavors of honey, pear, and green apple. Cote Mas St. Hilaire is just sweet enough to stand up to a dessert like pumpkin pie, but it’s also a perfect wine for cranberry sauce, yams, and other dinner courses with a hint of sugar.
Paul Mas Estate Marsanne SRP $14.99
Marsanne is a rich, heady white grape with complex aromas of honeysuckle, roasted nuts, melon and beeswax. We let 25% of the wine age three months in oak barrels to develop the full mouthfeel and lovely vanilla notes. The other 75% of the wine ages in stainless steel to maintain its fresh and fruity character. This wine will compliment buttery vegetable dishes and poultry.
La Forge Estate Pinot Noir SRP $14.99
This 100% pinot noir is the perfect fusion of Old and New World style. Leading with sumptuous flavors of cherry, red currant and ripe strawberry, the initial impression gives way to a soft earthy mushroom note and finishes with a hint of allspice and vanilla, thanks to the six months it spends in oak barrels. It is a medium-bodied pinot noir with striking balance that will accent many holiday dishes, from risotto to ham or turkey.
Chateau des Cres Ricards Stecia SRP $19.99
This blend of syrah, grenache, and carignan will wow your guests with its explosive aromas and silky mouthfeel. The wine opens with a burst of dark berry fruit and then presents an exotic range of herbal and mineral notes, from camphor and lavender to gunflint. The wine spends 12 months in vats and another 12 months in bottle before release, so when it goes into your glass, the fruit is fresh and lively but the tannins are soft and supple. Stecia is delicious with aged hard cheeses, duck confit, and smoked turkey.